Re: getting started with Liblouis

Thanks, Jeff.  I'm using Slint.  I didn't see either of the programs you mention.  Maybe there's something else.

Best!

Al

On 3/16/22 03:30, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
On Tue, 15 Mar 2022, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:

I'm trying to find out how to use Liblouis to translate documents from print to Braille.  Specifically, my wife would like me to find out how to translate Russian documents into Braille ones.  At the moment, though, I haven't yet learned a command to run for translating anything:  the Liblouis documentation looks to have a lot of useful material, but I could find nothing about running a command, with whatever arguments and options I might need, to create a Braille output file from a print input file.

In Debian, I see liblouis-bin and liblouisxml-bin packages which can probably help you.  Other distributions probably have something similar.

I read about a command called file2brl, apparently part of a program called Liblouisutdml, but that program's not on my system even though Liblouis itself is.

Apparently, UTDML is unified tactile document markup language, whcih is presumably used for maps, diagrams, etc.  This is probably not what you need.

HTH,
Geoff.