OT: Telegram and bitlbee Question

I use telegram-tdlib with bitlbee, and i'm not really sure where to ask this.

I have a contact, but when I add her to the contact list via my phone app, and then try to msg her in bitlbee, it says, user not found. And my messages show up in the control channel. This only happens with this particular contact. Is there a setting somewhere on one of our devices that we can change?