Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 19:40:58 +0000
From: Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Accessibility of installing Distros?

Going off of vanilla Arch here but it uses espeakup by default as the speech synth and method in the accessible boot (which is down arrow when booting off a stick or CD) and it's easy to understand. I get it. Some people can do stupidly high speech rates. But not everyone can. I've left espeakup alone on my box and it works pretty well, I can adjust it easily and it's easy to understand and follow along with. Even at top speed it's not insanely fast

Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
If you install espeak-ng in extra packages then in the chroot environment:
sysctl disable fenrir
then sysctl enable espeak
before rebooting that should at least put an end to fenrir eventually.
The fenrir speech speed is too fast; it can be adjusted downward but I
think never ought to have been set that fast for installation or
post-install use.  Maybe speech-rate=0.5 would be better and at the speed
espeak uses by default.