Re: Why do you use Linux? expanded from Converting text to mp3

I'll answer the why question first.

Because it just works, bar a few minor quirks. I don't have to stop what I'm doing to update. I can know what is on my system and if something I need isn't in a repo, I can find it in, say, the AUR, or Github, or Gitlab, or pip.

It's not really a case of why do I use /Linux/, it's more why do I use this setup of Linux. Because it works for what I want. Is it 110% perfect? No.

But it is, for my use case, a hell of a lot better than Windows thinking it knows best, using my bandwidth and making it hard to control what is on the system. I don't have to pay through the nose for what I personally need, or have people on the Windos side hit me over the head with their preferred screenreader of choice. I can use what I want with, 99% of the time, nobody being extremely preachy, or going 'but but pay $900 for this software you absolutely need'

Nah. I can install and after a little bit of setup, be it with an installer, or by hand, I can be up and going. I could probably just write a little script to install what I want and config what I want on a new system.

Also, I've not had that many kernel panics or BSOD equivalents in Linux, whereas I regularly had 1-2 BSOD on Windows due to hardware that didn't work that well but works flawlessly in Linux. I'll take stability and uptime, and not having a preachy, judgemental bunch of people trying to pressure me into buying some bit of access software, any day.

Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
Your mac in the terminal is a flavor of unix so all that is familiar to you in linux is the same.  Macports and homebrew are two of the
repositories with many of the same choices as in the linux ones. The many mac quality voices are available also.