Interrupting Speech in New Embedded Voices?

Well, I asked this in the Speakup list with no responses. Essentially, now in either Slint with Samantha, or Debian with Allison, voices sound great, however, I cannot interrupt speech. In looking on my desktop machine, there is a file in /etc/speakup/i18n called "no_interrupt" which is set to 0. But not only are no such files on my Debian laptop, but not even a speakup directory in /etc. I've done lots of locates for specific named files with speakup settings, but they all have slint related refferences, meanwhile I am booted in Debian kernel 5.15 in SID. When running the regular Voxin IBM voice, I had no interrupt issues, but would really like to enjoy an experience of Allison much better with a responsive keyboard. Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions.
Chime