Re: How to get speech in a console session?

Well, here are a couple of suggestions along with an opinion. You could probably run an
sudo apt install espeakup
or espeak
While I am not fond of those voices, you could purchase much better quality voices from Voxin from
https://www.oralux.org
For the IBM TTS its only $5 but the newer imbeded voices are more. I must confess, while in Slint, it was a bit easier getting those newer voices. In Debian, its easier to use "voxinup" to switch from an espeak to voxin, but newer voxin use "speechd-up" I understand that in both Debian-and-Slint, trying Fenrar may make some of this process easier. Best of luck
Chime