Re: speech output log

dmesg | grep -i "codey"
will show you what happens as the speech server starts up.
After that, if you have a man page or info page or /usr/share/doc/codey/ directory check to see if anything interesting lives there. With a man or info pages sometimes configuration options and configuration files are identified. Good idea to read through these to see if any of them can solve your problem(s).