Re: Want to try a GUI. Which one is best?

Hello,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have Debian Buster, command-line only. I may just wait until the next Debian testing is available and see if they include Mate.
will be using brltty, and no speech.

This leaves one concern in my original message for discussion. I want Debian to boot into the command-line, but I want to have a command or script for starting
the GUI when I need it.

Thanks,
John J. Boyer <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Sun, Mar 01, 2020 at 01:54:07PM +0000, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> Best I can tell, Mate 1.24 is currently available in both Debian
> Testing(aka Bull's Eye which will eventually become Debian 11) and
> Debian Unstable(aka Sid).
>
> It's unlikely something as big as a new version of Mate will make it
> into Debian 9 aka Stretch or oldstable or Debian 10 aka Buster or
> Stable as Debian priortizes stability over cutting edge, though it
> might make it into backports(more likely for Buster than for Stretch,
> but I confess to not knowing how long Debian supports Oldstable when a
> new Stable is released).
>
> That said, while Orca, the primary, and possibly only, graphical
> screen reader for Linux, is officially part of Gnome and persumably
> optimized for that environment, and probably works so well with Mate
> due to Mate's origins as a Gnome fork(as I understand it, Gnome 3
> brought many controversial changes to look and feel and Mate startedas
> a way to keep the Gnome 2.x look and feel in an updated environment),
> Orca should, in theory, be able to work with any GTK-based Desktop
> Environment or Window Manager, though anything QT-based(KDE chief
> among them) is currently a bit hit or miss.
>
> Gnome or Mate might be the best options for a beginner as they're the
> most well documented DEs for using them with Orca, but Knoppix using a
> combination of LXDE and Orca when launching a full Desktop seems to
> work well, and I've heard people have had success with the ratpoison
> window Manager.

John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org