Those Rotten VGA BIOS Setup Screens

	Are there any gadgets out there that one can connect to a
Linux box which will hook to the VGA output of a computer needing
BIOS setup work and output text so we don't have to bother other
people to help us tinker?

	Another possibility might be to use a LCD monitor which
generally has much less flicker than do the old CRT-style
monitors and then snap a picture of the screen on an iPad and use
something like Prismo which is an OCR program that, when you can
get it to work works well.

	The longest shot I am thinking of is to buy a device from
Epifan which can receive VGA video and converts it in to a .uvc
file which is the same format that web cams use.

	I will have to dive in to perl and write a program that
can at least decode the characters on that screen.  One nice
thing about that is that it is guaranteed to be straight and in
focus.

	I will have to learn about the .uvc format in order to
expand one frame of video in to the bit map.

	I'm glad nobody is waiting on this project besides me.

	Even so, this is a perfect example of how technology
works against you when you want to do something that all the
suits who design this stuff didn't anticipate you needing to do.

	In this case, I've got some old Dell computers which need
to always boot from CDROM before the hard drive.

	When you set them up this way, they revert back to a
different sequence for some unknown reason after maybe 6 months
or a year.  As computer users who are blind, it's much better all
around if we can solve our own problems within reason.

	Some rack-mount servers do have serial-based setup
methods but most desktops don't.

	Besides, if you have ever been in the same room as many
rack-mount servers, you'll notice it's like being on the runway
when a jet is about to take off.

	They are built to be in a rack with gobs of other hot
servers and they move a ton of air with their tiny fast-moving
fans.

Anyway, thanks for any good ideas.

Martin McCormick