Running an ssh in Chrome OS?

Well, I would certainly ask these questions, if I could find an active list for new users of ChromeVox? #1 With many challenges we installed a linux beta on a Chrome book. However, ssh doesn't seem to work. I got a Chrome book, as it has great sounding speech-and-the unit is much smaller than many laptops. As far as speech, is their a flat review option like there is in NVDA and Speakup? Also, can I turn off punctuation, so I don't have to hear "greater than" #2 I suppose the key mapping reminds me of a Mac. Are their easy ways of having the keyboard more mirror a regular Linux machine, with only 2 buttons to push instead of 3? #3 And we did subscribe to a Google group, but no welcome message or any other activity? Thanks so much in advance
Chime