Speech-dispatcher and separate settings

Okay this is something I've been wondering, since by default speech-dispatcher is insanely loud. So....here's what I'm aiming for.

1. Adjust the speech volume on the login screen via Lightdm to be comparable to Orca's minimum volume

2. Do the same for Chromium when it's using speech-dispatcher, as again it's louder than everything else, which makes VOIP calls hard to understand

Now. I've tried adjusting the default volume in speechd.conf and it hasn't quite done what I'm expecting. Is there an easy way to do this. I did spy espeak in the sound settings under applications, though I'm unsure if that's for speech-d or Orca's own espeak or ChromeVox via speech-dispatcher.