Re: Newbie to linux and a question

Don't worry, this list has everything from people dipping their toes
in Linux for the first time to veterans who remember when GUIs were
the new fad, and I'd estimate the majority of the list's activity is
asking for blind-friendly ways of accomplishing a task or getting
braille and/or speech up and running.

I've only really used Orca with Firefox(even before going blind six
years ago, I was on a trend towards doing more-and-more from the
command-line anyways), but the impression I get is that GTK
applications are kinda hit-and-miss and that QT applications are
completely non-Accessible(though, I get the impression the former has
more to due with UI developers having a tendency to make mouse driven
interfaces while keyboard controls are treated as an afterthought,
moreso than the status of assistive technology, while the latter is
due to QT simply not having the mature accessibility layer GTK does).
Of course, most text mode applications are accessibile thanks to being
mostly what text-to-speech is best at working with, though admittedly,
some ncurses-based applications don't always put text where it is
easily read or make use of non-language characters and text layouts
that don't parse well.

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
Bachelor of Computer Science
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.