Re: Booting Linux with No Video card

Linux for blind general discussion wrote 2018-12-05 21:21 UTC:
I have a new computer whose board has no video. I heard you could
still get linux to boot, anyway. Is there something I can edit on my
debian USB stick to get it to work?

It really depends on your computer firmware. If the firmware is satisfied booting without video capabilities you need to edit your boot loader configuration. I'm assuming debian's kernel is happy without video. Please note that most desktops have video on the same die (or chip) as the cpu just like pretty much everything else but RAM. So you might have embedded video...

Search in boot loader config file for kernel line where you need to state your console. E.g. add console=ttyS0 in the end. You find documentation in kernel documentation since it is kernel boot argument you are dealing with.

You need to have some console device in order to use your computer. What you hook to the console port is yet another story. I have only worked with teletype and visual terminals long time ago so can't help with braille terminal if that's what you plan to use.

/B