Re: slint and vlc

Both work here, so there should be an issue with your sound settings
or installation. Example:

didier[~]$ play /usr/share/sounds/purple/login.wav

/usr/share/sounds/purple/login.wav:

 File Size: 192k      Bit Rate: 706k
  Encoding: Signed PCM
  Channels: 2 @ 16-bit
Samplerate: 22050Hz
Replaygain: off
  Duration: 00:00:02.18

In:100%  00:00:02.18 [00:00:00.00] Out:48.1k [      |      ]        Clip:0
Done.
didier[~]$

I did hear the "tune".

Do you have sound with other apps, including espeakup and/or orca?

I ask because you don't say if you use speech or a Braille device.

Best,

Didier