Re: Looking for speakup keyboard commands

The issue is that this key can be configured. Many screen readers support desktop or laptop keyboard layouts where the screen reader hot key is different. I guess you could claim that if someone is savvy enough to change their modifier key then they're savvy enough to interpret the default key in the screen reader's help information and that the screen reader help should be written for the newest possible user. It's pretty easy though to select the laptop layout during setup and then not know what the modifier key is for this layout and get confused when you see a key referenced in the help that doesn't even exist on your keyboard. Also, for these quick helps and key references, space is also at a premium, so it may be tricky to list every possible option without creating even more confusion. Screen readers like ChromeVox also allow you to define your modifier key, so it could be almost anything.

I'm not sure what the right answer is here, and I don't have a problem with what screen readers are currently doing, but maybe professional trainers and those who assist the blind, know which way to go.