editor in linux shell that does charactor count?

Hi,
I can use wordperfect for word count. still I am writing something that requires a character limit.
Ideas?
Thanks,
Karen

"No one is born hating another person because of the color of his
skin or his background or his religion ... People must learn to
hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to
love... For love comes more naturally to the human heart than its
opposite." Nelson Mandela.