perl version updating

I have several perl modules *.pm files that need rebuilding against an updated perl base. I hadn't got that far into perl for rebuilding modules yet. Any pointers at material to read through before trying this I think will be quite helpful. I was doing a little reading on perlcompile and my impression is that's a collection of tools not all of which are stable.