lost speech with upgrade from jessie to stretch

Greetings!

I upgraded from jessie to stretch this afternoon, after reading the upgrade section of the release notes and other oddds and ends.

When I first rebooted, I apparently got speakup talking real slow. I had disabled espeakup.service after installing jessie, so I guessed the upgrade must have re-enabled it. Also, orca never came up.

I did

systemctl disable espeakup.service

and rebooted. Speakup didn't come up, which I expected. Orca never did either. Using alt-super-s didn't work.

I was never able to get speakup again. Enabling espeakup.service didn't work. Trying to run the script I created to run it after I'd gone in with orca (which I didn't have this afternoon) didn't work. using modprobe to load speakup_soft with staert=1 and then running the command espeakup didn't work.

I therefore have no speakup and no orca. I know I went into a couple of terminals, where I typed these commands, because the poweroff command actually shut the thing down. With no speech, though, it's hard to figure how to either disable pulseaudio according to the Debian accessibility instructions or retrieve my previous set-up. I'll be grateful for any pointers.

Al