Re: Blind vs. mainstream distros

Tony, your dad sounds a few orders of magnitude more tech savvy than
my dad, though considering my dad is older than ENIAC, maybe it's a
bit unfair of me to use my dad as my reference model of a non-power
user. Still, my dad can turn the thing on, use a web browser, play
solitaire, turn it off, and that's about it. Back when I could see
well enough to assist him with computer problems, I spent more time
keeping his aging XP machine in working order than I spent dealing
with bugs running development versions of Ubuntu, and since my vision
got too poor to assist him, I've lost count of how many times he's put
his computer in the shop, and he's at least once bought an entirely
new tower because of software issues(I believe it was a forced update
to Win 10 borking a Win7 machine). Even setting everything up myself
including many of the cross-platform applications he was using under
Windows, I've never gotten a Linux configuration to a point he'd give
it a fair chance, and I'm pretty sure Win95 was his first exposure to
anything more sophisticated than Frogger on the Atari 2600.

As for talking Arch, it sounds like a smaller change to vanilla Arch
than Kubuntu, Xubuntu, or Lubuntu are to vanilla Ubuntu, and one
almost has to wonder why whoever is in charge of Arch doesn't make it
an official flavor.

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.
Former Secretary, Student Government Association, College of the Albemarle.