asking for guidance on length of line in terminal

Greetings!

A couple of sighted friends (one at my request) told me that my text terminal has part of the line cut off. One said it was at the beginning.

Using "stty -a", I learned that my text console has sixty-five lines and that the lines are one hundred and seventy-five columns. I'm virtually certain those are the settings from installing; I'm using Debian Jesse. When I ran "stty sane", the settings stayed the same.

In gnome-terminal, "stty -a" told me the terminal has a wimpy twenty-four lines and eighty columns. I note that I haven't yet asked anybody to look at the screen in gnome-terminal.

I'd like to have a high number of lines, though I also haven't checked if those looked like a problem in my text console. I'd also like lines longer than eighty characters, but want to know the longest line people think I can have that shows up completely on the screen. I've never had a problem reading these long lines with Speakup, but from time to time I may need somebody to look at my stuff on the screen. Also, if I ever share program code or anything else with sighted folks, I want it to look right. Any suggestions?

Also, if somehow I'm looking at the problem the wrong way, feel free to let me know if you think there's something else I should do.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Al