Re: Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

My biggest problem with Fedora is the lack of packages. Coming from Arch, and the AUR, I'm used to having *all* of the Audacious plugins, including crystalizer and such, but Fedora only came with a few of them. Also, for packages like Emacspeak, you have to build the dependencies, DND builddep, for Emacspeak to even install, which I don't understand why. builddep wasn't needed on other packages, but it is with Emacspeak. Also, Boxing does not work with Fedora, and eSpeak-ng is... broken or only pulls down espeak or something. So, as I've said in IRC, I really recommend either Debian or Arch to work with. Arch, already having Fenrir, OcrDesktop, Emacspeak-git, Boxing support, all that, would be a fine place to start. I know, Fedora is that middle ground between cutting-edge and yearly update cycles, but really, it all depends on how much work we, the community, want to do. Getting Boxing working may even be impossible on Fedora, I don't know, but that would put any Emacspeak user off right then, or any user who is impatient for eSpeak to gain a *lot* more privity and a more natural way of speaking, *not* a natural voice. But, there are always other distros we can base ourselves off of, Fedora isn't the only alternative. I just think Arch would be a far better way to go, it's definitely be easier to start. I know Orca is developed on Fedora, and that might add a perceived wow factor, or a closeness with the developer, but again, Arch has the orca-git aur package, and their is, as some one said earlier, only one developer working on Orca. The first big problem with Fedora is Braille. Brltty comes with the use of the API commented, so that new users will have to know how to work with config files, and how to uncomment things, just to get Braille with Orca. As a Braille display user myself, it was pretty disheartening. Then, when I did get Braille working, I found that reading with it wasn't so fun after all. If I didn't press a key for a while, a key on the keyboard of the laptop that is, the screen would lock, and my reading material would be replaced by the lock screen. So now, I have my books and such on the display for reading in the word processor. A more serious issue with the Braille display is copying things to it. The Various Ultra has internal storage. When I want to copy something directly to it, it says that it cannot. But there's a side-effect, everything on the storage media is deleted for some reason. So, I'll have to just use a flash drive as an intermediary between them. Yes, Linux has that effect on people after a while, you learn to just accept the flaws and deal with it, as you had to with Windows, because there's so little support, so little time, so little care. Especially with Braille, those who don't use it don't seem to care much, and those who use it can't do much to change things. At least, I can't, as I don't know a programming language. Now for the most serious problem, Orca, for me, doesn't talk at the log in screen. It may just be from me uninstalling and reinstalling Orca and eSpeak so many times, and I may install another distro because of all this Discord, all these problems, but for now, I have to listen for the little pops of Pulse audio/alsa doing their thing to know when to press enter, type my password, press enter again. But I didn't wipe Windows from my machine just to run back to it, I will soldier on through this bleak landscape, because I see so much potential if we manage to do all this. Linux has the ability to grow, to get better, by our direct actions, not just emailing accessibility@xxxxxxxxx and hoping that, besides the automated response, something will happen. I am, though, a rather sindical person. I don't expect Orca to have amazing Braille support, with formatting information shown by way of Liblouis, Audacious plugins being all there, Boxing working or Emacspeak folks waking up to the possibility that if they focused a little on helping with eSpeak, it may progress more than just bandaging bad pronunciación a. I'm not saying this or that project isn't getting anywhere, sure it is, but we need more help than what we have, a sighted Orca developer who knows not much about Braille, and a community of devs who probably don't even know we're considering their distro to be a base for ours. But, I'll sit back and wait and see what comes of all this, helping out where I can with documentation or user support, all that. I'm training to be an ATI, assistive technology instructor, so if y'all want what I can offer, as I've said in IRC where sometimes my voice is drown out by noise, then I'm here.