linphone newby questions

Good day,
Now that I feel the Internet speed here in South Africa is such that one can start looking at voip, I have installed linphone.
I created an account at linphone.org which was confirmed by email.
I do not seem to have the sipomatic program for testing my setup, and a quick google search give e the idea that it is no longer part of linphone.
So, here are a few, some of them dumm, questions.
1.  How can I verify my setup is correctly configured without sipomatic?
2. I saw on the linphone.org site that there are over 300000 users, but is there a way to look for people in that list? I.E. If I want to know if any one of you is on linphone, is the only way for me to find that out to email you first?
TIA, Willem

--

This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard. The full disclaimer details can be found at http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html. Please consider the environment before printing this email.