Re: Concerning Debian and ArchLinux

You don't have to reinstall to upgrade a debian system from one stable release to the next. Sometimes the upgrade does fail and rarely, this can have disasterous results. So make a backup first. You can also do continuous upgrades by running the testing release instead of the stable release of debian. Even that isn't entirely without risk as a nightly or weekly upgrade might break something. But I would imagine arch has that problem too because it's caused by linux package developers not being perfect. If you don't want to go through the massive upgrade every 2 years from one stable debian release to the next, I'd recommend you try the debian testing release and do nightly upgrades. That name "testing" is really a misnomer. It's not like this stuff hasn't been tested. And you could say that everything is in the process of being tested. The distinction between a stable and a testing package is rather ill-defined.

Here at the Math Department at the University Of Wisconsin, I switched our workstations over from debian stable to ubuntu short time support or STS. A new release of ubuntu STS comes out every 6 months. Then I do upgrades in January and July when the students are gone. Ubuntu has a release upgrader program for doing upgrades.