Re: Questions about setting up a new computer

Hi John,

What is your need for a RAM disk?  With the advent of solid
state drives (SSD) access to files is much faster, so there
is less need for RAM disk. Also, I believe linux will cache
disk files in RAM.

I recall hearing linux behaves better with a swap file, even if it is
used very little.

cheers,

Joel

John J. Boyer wrote:
> I've more or less decided to replacer my ten-year-old Linux machine. It
> is giving error messages intermittently. Most of them are about sector
> errors, but others seem to have nothing to do with the hard drive. It
> may be more and more troublesome, even if the hard drive is replaced.
> Besides, it would be nice to get more up-to-date hardware.
>
> I'm thinking of getting 32 GB of ram. 8 GB will be for normal use. The
> other 24 GB will be in a ramdisk. Do I need a paging file? 8 GB of
> available ram should be more than enough. The paging file on my present
> machine always shows 0 usage, even with only 4 GB of ram. How do I avoid
> setting up a paging file during installation? I'm using Debian Jessie.
>
> How do i set up the ramdisk? I want to assign the temp directory to it.
> It might be nice if the bin, sbin and usr directories were loaded onto
> it at boot-up.
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
> --
> John J. Boyer; President,
> AbilitiesSoft, Inc.
> Email: john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
> Location: Madison, Wisconsin USA
> Mission: To develop softwares and provide STEM services for people with
>          disabilities which are available at no cost.

Joel Roth