Monitoring Trafic through a Gateway?

Wow, this has been quite a challenge. 4weeks ago I began having wireless issues, which eventually, now only 1 of my 2 AT&T Uverse boxes work, and my Apple TV is spiratic. Several techs figured out these devices work when my Linux desktop machine is disconnected from the gateway. At our LUG a gentleman suggested I run "mrtg" as a cron job, but he says it produces pritty graphs, which some1 would need to look at. So I looked through Debian package for items related with routers. I tried installing the following, but had some errors: sudo aptitude install libpath-router-perl libr3-0 librouter-simple-perl roger-router-cli smcroute Back again live: So can some1 please inform, are their simpler ways of grabbing a text output of trafic running through this Gateway? This router I can access with 192.168.1.254 but in elinks I can actually login, but in L Y N X I can just have a basic view. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, as I really need to fix this so all these items run at the same time.
Hart