Weird ncftp Issue?

Wow, I've never seen this one. I prefer ncftp as it has a switch to delete items as they are successful. Well, trying to grab larger items from Shellworld down to the hard-drive, I grab useing a wild-card. But just as the first file gets down to 1second remaining, it stalls, no matter which extention I try. Looking at the running process on Shellworld, its "pure ftp" Can some1 please suggest anyway of diagnosing this. I am running Debian, mostly sid and Shellworld is I think Ubunto.
Hart