Digital rights (was: kindle)

For pete's sake, Sam, would you please stop saying I (or anyone) said that Amazon has an ethical obligation to write a command line app for linux. This is the second time I've pointed out that I haven't said that and I don't think anyone else has either.

What I've said is that it is not unethical to hack DRM on a kindle book so you *can* read it on your linux command line platform. It's not ethical for Amazon to keep me from doing that.

It is absolutely NOT reasonable for Amazon to say you have to buy their computer to read their books. Holy cow, have you ever heard of a public library? Do you think a publisher should be able to say a public library cannot carry their books?

I think it's very easy for you to say these things but if the world you envision actually existed, you wouldn't like it very much. People with this libertarian attitude don't understand the huge amount of hard work that has been done on their behalf by some very dedicated people over many years. If everybody thought the way you did, there'd be no speakup, brltty, or orca. Android and IOS wouldn't have screen readers. Bookshare wouldn't exist. Public libraries wouldn't exist.

On 09/15/2015 10:02 AM, Sam Hartman wrote:
"John" == John G Heim <jheim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

     John> No one on a linux users list should criticize someone else for
     John> their choice of platform.

I don't criticize the choice of platform.
Beyond a certain point--and I definitely think command line linux is
well past that point--I don't think it's Amazon's problem to make it
accessible.
I think it's entirely reasonable for you to try and convince them they
should.
If I were in there position, I would be very hard to convince.
However,  I reject the idea that there is some ethical judgment against
Amazon because they choose not to support command-line Linux.
I'll note that they almost certainly don't support command-line Linux
for sighted users either.

     John> Otherwise, Amazon could say if you
     John> want access to our books, you have to buy our computers and
     John> use our software.

I think it's entirely reasonable for Amazon to say this.
I'd choose not to do business with them if they did.

     John> And if it doesn't work for you, too
     John> bad.

I wouldn't go that far.  Amazon for a variety of reasons has obligations
related to accessibility.  However, I think those obligations are only
related to the platforms they support.  I was very frustrated at
Amazon's Android accessibility, and cases where they used captchas with
no audio option on their websites (and had a nice chat with a VP at
Amazon about that issue).
However, in these cases, they have chosen to support Android and the
browser respectively.

They have not, and I don't think it is reasonable that they should be
obligated to, support command-line Linux.

John Heim, jheim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, skype:john.g.heim