Re: Reading Kindle books on Linux

Last I heard blind people are permitted under the fair use doctrine to break drm on all books with two exception categories; lyrics and drama are both off limits.
That was when Kurt Sylke was running the Library of Congress.

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015, John G Heim wrote:

Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 09:54:20
From: John G Heim <jheim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Reading Kindle books on Linux

Get Amazon to write a linux app? I don't think that is practical. Maybe somebody could sue them. But persuade them? Impossible.

Are you sure it's illegal for a blind person to break the DRM on a kindle book? The Library of Congress puts out a list of exceptions to the DMCA every 3 years. Here is a link to an article that does a good job of covering the exception on ebooks for people who use screen readers:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94238

If you are suggesting that it's unethical fora blindperson to break DRM on an ebook, I strongly disagree with that. I can see that a difficult legal issue could be created by saying a blind person can do that and a sighted person cannot. Maybe sighted people should be allowed to do it too. I don't have any opinion on that. But as an ethical issue, I sure don't think there is anything unethical about a blind person breaking DRM so he can listen to a book he legally owns on his choice of platform.