Re: brltty depends on ubuntu-mate-desktop

Actually, I figured it out. It seems rather obvious now but the problem is that ubuntu-mate-desktop depends on brltty, not the other way around. If you type 'dpkg -p ubuntu-mate-desktop', it shows both brltty and brltty-x11 listed as dependencies. So the fact that brltty-x11 depends on brltty isn't really the issue.

The problem with uninstalling the meta package is that it's going to give you a whole list of other packages that are no longer needed and suggest that you uninstall them with auto-remove. That's a PITA. I am kind of surprised the developers of the ubuntu-mate-desktop package agreed to it. You'd think a lot of people would wonder why you can't uninstall brltty w/o removing the ubuntu-mate-desktop package. That's so counter-intuitive that at first I thought it must be a bug.

And it turns out that the problem with brltty is that it doesn't start via 'service brltty start' on my system. I'm not running a vanilla ubuntu desktop. I am sure it has something to do with this systemd versus upstart crap but I don't know if it was something I did or if it just doesn't work in ubuntu 15.04.