Re: cannot get into gnome. do I need a screen anyway?

    Kristoffer> Hi.  How do I do if I want to look for an application
    Kristoffer> then?  For example, I've got games, firefox, and
    Kristoffer> something else installed.  Isn't there any menu for
    Kristoffer> this?  I tried allt +f1, but I didn't saw anything
    Kristoffer> there.

I recommend you read the gnome docs, particularly their documentation
for keystrokes.

On my top bar there's an item that announces as "Activities toggle
button not pressed."  I press enter on that and hit ctrl-alt-tab and
come to a layer that announces as "dash".
On that layer is the common set of applications.
There's a button on that layer for all applications which will pull up
the full XDG menu hierarchy.