Re: changing soundcards

As usual, Jude, you're spreading misinformation again. I speak from experience with a USB sound device. After you get your mixer settings the way you want, run this:

alsactl store

By default, Debian disables the USB sound card if it's the only sound card in the system. You simply comment out the line in the ALSA configuration (I think /etc/alsa.conf but I'm not positive) and the problem is fixed. No, your selections aren't lost when you reboot and yes, it will use the USB sound card by default once the line disabling it is commented or removed.