Re: installing without internet

Probably Slackware 15.0 will have software speech support available in some form. The reason for that is no more cpaacity to use hardware speech synthesizers as was the case in early kernel 3.0 days. If that happens, that will be a no internet required install as well. Slackware has done that since its beginning and that was the first commercial Linux distro on the market.

On Wed, 5 Aug 2015, Kristoffer Gustafsson wrote:

Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 06:53:51
From: Kristoffer Gustafsson <kg.kristoffer@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: installing without internet

Hi.
Sounds great. I'll try this out.
It will be much faster to install this way instead of downloading when
installing.
When I upgraded some years ago I edited that file, hope it will work
this time too.
If so I'll be very happy. It will be almost how I installed fedora
core many years ago.
Easy and fast.
/Kristoffer

You'll be given the opportunity to pick an installation source.
Internet is one option but cd/dvd is another.  When you pick cd/dvd,
you'll be prompted to insert each dvd in the dvd drive so debian can
index what you have.  Once all of that is done, to install a package
you'll be prompted for one or both of those cd/dvd's if the install you
want needs files from both of them.  To move over to internet for your
source, you're going to have to comment out active lines in
'/etc/apt/sources.list and add in internet repository lines to select
mirrors and distributions.  Fortunately for you, a tool exists to help
you select your best internet mirrors.  The security mirror is separate
from the debian main mirror and there is also a multimedia mirror that
can be installed in /etc/apt/sources.list.  Once you have changed
/etc/apt/sources.list, you want to run aptitude update first then
aptitude safe-upgrade to get updates those dvd's don't have.