Re: a *very* odd question especially for me. Janina Sajka <janina@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

I apologize in advance to people outside of the US.

Obviously, Christopher, you've never had to deal with books from NLS BARD in bash before. It's a major problem because of the spaces. I did eventually find a workaround courtesy of cyberciti.biz. If anyone cares, I'll post my script, but it's very specific to my local setup. No, I don't wish to rename them because I want to keep the book number and as much other information as possible. Out of curiosity, how would you handle names like this? I want to make a new directory on my SD card under $vrdtb, cd to that directory, unzip the NLS book and repeat. I generally have at least a few dozen books to process at a time. Again, I now have a working solution. Until I did some experimenting and poking around on Google, I had to do this manually. When NLS started adding a lot more books every week from their analog conversion, this was no longer practical. The filenames appear below:

DB -- Analog Science Fiction and Fact (Astounding!) (December 2012).zip
DB Asimov's Science Fiction June_ 2013.zip
DB New York Times Book Review October 27_ 2013.zip
DB-Unspecified-The Holy Bible, Containing the Old and New Testaments- Translated out of the Original Tongues and with the Former Translations Diligently Compared a-DB68777.zip

To directly answer your question, bash tries to process each word of the filename separately, even when you put them in quotes, at least in a for loop. If you manually process one at a time, it works fine. I don't know why it doesn't work in a for loop even with quoting the filename, but it doesn't. You have to tell bash to not treat space as a separator.