Re: linux music tools It is quite possible and was done all the time in the bad

    Hart> I like your comments Sam. And yes while there seems much more
    Hart> developement of Linux tools than DOS, why is it we have many
    Hart> less screen-reader options? In a non-graphical console, I
    Hart> count only these screen-readers:

Because all the development effort is going into graphical screen
readers.
The world as a whole seems to have mostly settled on one screen reader
per platform.
With the exception of Windows, although Narrator is getting good enough
that I can't see spending money for anything else unless I need virtual
channel/remote desktop support.

I do use emacspeak rather than gnome-terminal+Orca for console apps.  I
find I get a somewhat better experience because I'm already using Emacs
for a lot, and because cut&paste in gnome-terminal is not as accessible
as I'd like.

It's absolutely true that .bat files are simpler than Linux scripting.
DOS is an operating system that spends some effort on making text mode
easy to use.
On Linux today, console mode is for developers/programmers/system
administrators in terms of what resources are being funded.