Re: hearing my microphone/making podcasts

Kristoffer Gustafsson wrote:
> Hi.
> I've got an asus xonar u5.
> Is this a good card or should I buy something else?
> I've tried to hear my mic through my mac, and it works without delay.
> How can this be if the card doesn't support hardware playthrough?
> Also when I selected listen to this device, when I got win xp, it worked fine.
> You said that the realtek cards don't support the hardware playthrough.
> Any idea about these things?
> /Kristoffer

It's worth trying out the card you have, especially if it
works through Mac and Windows.

I only found info about the u7 working with Linux.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/401591/is-asus-xonar-u7-supported

Try the amixer command without arguments to see what
controls are exposed.

> > Hi.
> > I would like to do some Linux podcasts.
> > to do that I want to record the things from my soundcard.
> > And I also want to get the sound from my microphone into my headset so
> > I can hear what I'm doing, and get that recorded at the same time.
> > Have you done such a thing Before?
> > /Kristoffer
> >
> > --
> > Kristoffer Gustafsson