Switched to NE - was: Nano 2.4.0 problem

Replying to myself again, I have now switched to NE, which I'll go into more
detail about below.  Someone else already filed Debian bug 787890 with a
similar problem and I added to it.

I have now switched to NE, or Nice Editor.  It's still actively developed
and is packaged in Debian and probably Ubuntu.  I've built my own static
binary which should work on any 64-bit Linux system, so no matter what
version of Linux I'm on and what libraries are available, I have a
guaranteed editor that works.  It's very friendly and easy to use, but also
very powerful.  It works great over slow connections.  It has a nice menu
interface, keyboard commands and a command line.  All of the key bindings
can be changed and the manual is very comprehensive.  I've fully read the
manual, so I should be able to answer questions about it.  I only had to
make two small changes:

1. I had to turn off the status bar.  It would speak the line and column
numbers every time I enter a character.  Turning off the status bar resolved
the problem.  I've written to the developer about this.

2. I had to rebind the backspace key to actually backspace.  The default
binding is to delete forward.  It's very simple to change key bindings and
NE even has a command to help with this.

Another issue is if you have word wrap on, it has the same problem as Nano
in that it repeats everything on the current line when a character is
pressed.  I mentioned that to the developer as well.  If it's turned off, it
isn't a problem.

What I really like is the keys generally do what you expect.  Ctrl-F is
Find, Alt-X is Exit, etc.  You can read the default.keys which ships with it
in /usr/share/doc/ne for the full list.  I would recommend installing the
ne-doc package, but it isn't necessary.  The help is very good and the menus
are easy to use.  I'm still learning and experimenting, but so far, I'm very
happy with it.  It's generally easier to use than Nano once you learn how it
works.

On 6/7/2015 3:41 AM, Tony Baechler wrote:
> I forgot to mention that 2.2.6 is no longer in testing, so I would have to
> download and install by hand and tell the package tools not to upgrade.  I
> am on testing and such problems are somewhat expected, but I usually don't
> run into issues of quite this severity.  I'm actually somewhat surprised.
>
> On 6/7/2015 3:38 AM, Tony Baechler wrote:
>> Yes, of course I was going to file a bug, or at least I was thinking about
>> it.  It's definitely a severe issue if Nano can't accept files on the
>> command line.  However, that doesn't solve my immediate problem.  I still
>> need some kind of decent editor.  I'm liking NE more and more, so that's
>> probably going to be my choice.  Besides, the ne package is much smaller
>> than the nano package.  Even if Nano 2.4.1 works correctly, 2.4.0 and up
>> still have the problem of repeating everything on the screen when a new line
>> is entered and I haven't been able to determine why, so filing a bug still
>> wouldn't solve that problem.

Have a good day,
Tony Baechler
tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx