telecom device for deaf in linux?

Tim writes:
As I understand it, the easiest way is to have an existing TTY machine/hardware locally and then connect it to a Linux box

Well if I had one of those machines I wouldn't need to use the linux pc.
I am wanting to use the linux pc in lieu of such a machine.
Not for voice--only for data over phone lines.

This gizmo you describe allowing connection from sound card to phone line sounds good.
May be just what I am looking for.
I had hoped there was a softwaare solution, but ten bucks even I can handle.

Thanks.

Brian Tew