sql query

I wrote a query in sql using psql for an interactive environment in
console mode.  I can get a couple different kinds of output neither of
which would be useful for production level work.  The column names from
which data was taken in a table would be informative if those were to show
up to the left of the values but that's a different kind of output and
what is also happening when I use an aggregate function say
round(avg(sug),1) is that the function shows with its result on output.
That particular formula was used to calculate average blood sugar for a
set of data.  I can use \t and turn off all tuples and then all I read are
the rounded averages again with no explanatory text.
I understand all of this since I wrote the query but someone else who
doesn't know what Linux is never mind what postgresql is needing to look
at this data without assistance is going to have a hard road to travel.
I was reading up on comment (7) but unless those \D directives can operate
like \t and show column names and comments written for aggregate functions
that won't be a workable solution.

jude <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>