irc question

Greetings!

I need an irc client recommendation. (Yes, I'm way behind the times on this.) I know of pidgin and xchat. Can anybody tell me which, if either, is easier to use with Speakup or Orca? Is there something else that is better than either? (This is for use in my internship, not that I finally decided to jump in.)

Thanks for any help.

Al

p.s. I'll be especially grateful if somebody knows of a good document for learning to use one of these guys.