dummy output module chirps uninvited

Hello!

Twice today, I was on my Linux box, using Orca. Suddenly, I'd hit a key and get babbled at by the dummy output module. This happened three or four times last week. Whatever key I hit after this, I'd get the message. It was always the same message. It was well that I was running Speakup as well, so that I could shut down. A couple of times when this happened last week, even booting up by pushing the on/off button brought me right into the dummy output messag. This never happened before last week.

I'm using Fedora 18, and have updated it fairly regularly, on this 64-bit machine.

Has anybody else suffered this affliction, or can anybody think what may cause it? Thanks!

Al