Re: and now the keystroke questions?

On 03/04/2013 01:47 PM, Tim Chase wrote:
On March  4, 2013, Karen Lewellen wrote:
Now, I understand that the idea here is to hold down the
speakup key, insert on the number padd, and the letter o.
That is not the issue.  what I am having a hard time
picturing is how one can manage this with both keys on the
same side of the keyboard without very large hands and
long fingers.

years of piano lessons? (grins)

I've never understood the desire to use <insert> as the key
to access the screen-reader's bank of commands.  I think
Jaws did this too.  I'd much prefer something like replacing
the behavior of Caps Lock since it's a pretty useless key
anyways (IMHO).

The idea behind the insert key is that you use it in combination with other keys on the numeric keypad. In your Speakup documentation there should be a key listed for Speakup+o as well as a numeric keypad equivalent. I think the reasoning here goes back to IBM's screen reader, which used it's own HW key pad to keep the screen reader keys from interfering with key sequences used by various applications.

As I said in another message, I use the caps-lock key and laptop keyboard layouts for screen readers like Orca and JAWS.

Am I understanding the key combination correctly in the
first place? holding down the insert key and typing the
letter o, in the example above?  If so, is there a way to
reassign these keys?

Yes, there's a somewhat geeky tutorial here

http://leb.net/pub/blinux/speakup/mirror.speakup_home/keymap-tutorial

where they remap the screen-reader key to AltGr (the Alt key
to the right of the spacebar) which might be less painful
than the 0/insert key.

-tim

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail