Re: just how much can you do with?

On 03/04/2013 06:10 AM, Tim Chase wrote:
The wonderful advantage of my DOS screen reader is that I
rarely have to take my hands off the main keyboard to
review stuff. I can use a screen review structure etc.

As a Vim user, I can appreciate your desire to keep your
hands on the main keyboard rather than losing your position
on the home-row.

I accomplish some of this in Orca by using the laptop keyboard layout instead of the desktop keyboard layout. I do this regardless of whether I'm working on a desktop keyboard or a laptop keyboard. I did the same thing in JAWS.

Later on, you write:

Why would one need to run more than one screen reader...at
all?  Are the other built into the system already as well?

If not all pre-installed, they should all be in the repos,
making them just a simple install away.  I'm not sure one
would ever have a need/want to run them concurrently, but
they each have various strengths and weaknesses:

I run Orca, Speakup, Emacspeak and ChromeVox all concurrently. I spend most of my time in Orca and on the desktop, so Orca is my work horse screen reader.

I don't do very much at all in Speakup, but I use it as a backup incase I have trouble with Orca. I can always jump to a console and know I have Speakup running there to help me get out of trouble.

I use Emacspeak since Emacs is my preferred way to take notes and write programs. I also like org-mode, the PIM in Emacs, and the file manager built into Emacs called DirEd.

I use ChromeVox, an extension of Google Chrome, to work with Google Docs. It's the only way I've found to work efficiently with Google Docs and collaborate with my peers.

I do not use a text editor I use a full complete and
functional word processor.  There is a considerable
difference.

I found that back when I used Word Perfect, I flew with
"Reveal Codes" on all the time.  It's basically like HTML
under the hood, using various tags to indicate things like
lists, paragraphs, headings, etc.  But if WP works for you,
and you can get it running under Linux, then good on ya.

In any case I have anew in box edition of wordperfect
written for Linux.

Depending on the age of it, I don't know how accessible it
is.  YMMV.  However, if you're using the GUI with Orca, I
believe you can use AbiWord, OpenOffice.org, or LibreOffice.
Hopefully others will chime in here regarding their
experiences using Orca with those.

I use Libre Office with Orca. I also use Google Docs with ChromeVox. I use these for word processing tasks, creating documents with headers, links, tables and so on. For note taking and programming, I find a text editor to be much less cumbersome and more suited to the task.

-tim

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail