Re: just how much can you do with?

Well Kyle, I think even for folks such as Karen-and-myself, moving from dos to Linux, Linux man-pages are written in such a way that not only listening with speech, but without a tecnical background, they are hard to understand. I did write Karen off list-and-suggest it would be instructive to show side-by-side a DOS help with a Linux man-page of a similar command. Maybe somewhere there are more discriptive beginner man-pages which we could dropin to a system, which would make learning easier.
As an example, here is a Debian man for ren "rename"
RENAME(1) Perl Programmers Reference Guide RENAME(1)

NAME
       rename - renames multiple files

SYNOPSIS
       rename [ -v ] [ -n ] [ -f ] perlexpr [ files ]

DESCRIPTION
"rename" renames the filenames supplied according to the rule specified as the first argument. The perlexpr argument is a Perl expression which is expected to modify the $_ string in Perl for at least some of the filenames specified. If a given filename is not modified by the expression, it will not be renamed. If no filenames are given on the
       command line, filenames will be read via standard input.

For example, to rename all files matching "*.bak" to strip the extension, you might say

               rename 's/\.bak$//' *.bak

       To translate uppercase names to lower, you'd use

               rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/' *

OPTIONS
       -v, --verbose
               Verbose: print names of files successfully renamed.

       -n, --no-act
               No Action: show what files would have been renamed.

       -f, --force
               Force: overwrite existing files.

ENVIRONMENT
       No environment variables are used.

AUTHOR
       Larry Wall

SEE ALSO
       mv(1), perl(1)

DIAGNOSTICS
       If you give an invalid Perl expression you'll get a syntax error.

BUGS
The original "rename" did not check for the existence of target filenames, so had to be used with care. I hope I've
       fixed that (Robin Barker).
Back again live, Kyle, do you think some1 with little Linux experience, wanting to learn, can make sense of that? I tried going in DOSemu to find a similar help, but cannot get "help ren" to work. Thanks for listening
Hart