sound troubles

Hello,
I've been out of the loop for wa while.  I finally managed to get my new linux working with reguards to the Windows that it came with.
Now I'm trying to get ready for linux.
I couldn't find my original talk-arch CD so I went to the "arch linux for the blind" page and followed the link and downloaded a new .iso copy.  I got sighted
assitence to help change the boot order so I could boot into the CD.
When I tried to boot into the arch CD, I heard the initial beep that usually occurs with the talking-arch CD.  I followed the instructions and pressed escape and typed
"arch64".  I could see that kernel messages started to flow down the screen.  When I heard the CD finish spinning, speakup wasn't talking.
I remember a previous talking-arch CD that loaded peakup, but it didn't read the intial start-up prompt, but as soon as I start typing commands it started reading any
new information printed to the screen.  I pressed enter, but speakup didn't read the new prompt.  I typed "ls /dev" and saw the columns of stuff appear, but speakup
still didn't read anything.  "clear" worked to erase the screen, and "poweroff" shutdown the machine.
I attempted to get someone to check the final set of kernel messages the next time I tried to boot into the CD.  THey had too much trouble understanding the messages
and had trouble reading them to me.  I did gather that there were some errors about the sound-card.
Is there a way to test sound-output when the CD finishes loading?  asound-play or something to just run a sound-file through the headphones?  Also, how do I query or
change sound-card information/settings?
Thank you:-)