Re: What is the best distro for my business manager?

Please don't try running Linux in a virtual machine under Windows, unless you are only using it for experimentation with different Linux distributions before making a final switch. It would be much better for productivity and stability to run an older version of windows, say xp, inside a virtual machine under Linux, for the rare occasions when you feel you need to use a Windows application.

Rationale: Windows can easily become quite unstable, especially when installing new software or hardware, and if Windows crashes, your virtual machine will suffer an unclean shutdown and may not boot, in which case, you could mess up both your Windows installation and your Linux virtual machine. Yes, this is a worst-case scenario but it can and does happen. Also, if Windows becomes infected with a virus, it will destroy your Linux virtual machine configuration files and hard disk images, just as easily as any other files on your Windows system, so you will effectively lose two computers at once. On the other hand, if you run Windows inside a virtual machine under Linux and Windows crashes or becomes infected with a virus, only your Windows virtual machine is lost, and you will still have full access to everything that Linux has to offer. Worst case is that you will need to delete the Windows virtual machine and reinstall Windows, but then you have only effectively lost one computer rather than two at once.

I will agree that VirtualBox is one of the best applications for running virtual machines, and it's the one I use every day to test distros and even experiment on a virtual copy of the distro I normally use. However, in order to run two or more operating systems simultaneously on a single machine, you need a solid foundation, and Linux is the most solid foundation available to date, with the possible exception of *BSD, but *BSD doesn't support as broad a range of PC hardware as Linux from what I've read. Of course I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong on this point.

As for which Linux distribution to choose, my best advice is to do some experimentation and find the one you like the best. I am a major supporter of Arch Linux, which works very well once you get it installed. You have all the same choices of major desktop environments and applications you have with Ubuntu or its derivatives, and you can also gain access to the user repository, which is a searchable database for many more packages that aren't in the official repositories for one reason or another. In addition, you will get the newest versions of most applications almost as soon as they are released, rather than having to wait for a 6-month or longer release cycle. The developers also do their best to minimize any breakage that can occur as the system is kept up-to-date. On the other hand, I am thinking that an LTS (long-term support) Ubuntu release such as 12.04 is better for increased productivity that is guaranteed to be stable and supported for 5 years, both commercially and by the community. Ubuntu 12.04 is certainly one of the best available distros for out-of-the-box hardware support with little fus and long-term stability. There is also something to be said for the ability to purchase commercial support for your primary OS if you feel you need it. Of course, there is also something to be said for the freedom to choose not to purchase commercial support or a restrictive license, even when using the OS in a corporate environment, which is the major case for nearly any distribution of Linux with no Windows at all, if you feel you can take the plunge.

Hopefully some of this information will help you make the best decision for your needs.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/