Re: hard drive replacement questions

It sounds like a Western Digital 60 GB drive, in which case no wonder why it developed bad sectors. That's probably a fairly old drive. About four years is when they develop problems. Yes, I'm sure it's IDE. I might be able to give you an old IDE drive, but you can probably still find them on EBay and possibly Amazon.com. Any IDE drives around here aren't for notebooks and run at 7200 RPM instead of the usual 5400 RPM that most notebooks use, but if you're in the US and can't find any other IDE drives elsewhere, write me off list and we can work out something. I can't guarantee how long my IDE drives will last, but something is better than nothing. I would want you to pay the postage, but I won't charge for the drive. I think I might have seen an IDE drive on Amazon, but I wasn't looking. You can also try the various surplus sites around.