Mysterious Hard Freeze?

Well, this morning I was running xvfb useing firefox to rip an archived stream. Also, was running trn in a large news-group. At some point, I began hearing 2&1half words looing around from the stream. I had no speakup, could not change consoles, no back space beel, no1 could ssh in here. So, after power-cycling the machine we see nothing in /var/log/messages relating with what happened. Also, since then 1 of my 4 sound-cards is not showing up-and-that was a hi-end which we could adjust bass-and-trebble. I am not actually running an x session, but I sure wish there were other ways of ripping audio, without xvfb-and-firefox, which many times do not shutdown. Thanks in advance for any ideas in where else to look for clues of what happened? O, this is Debian 2.6.32 because so-far this DecTalk U S B will not speak in a later kernel
Hart