Playing daisy in Linux?

Well, maybe 3weeks ago I finally can enjoy NFB-News-Line, but I wanted to try out reading or listening to these daisy files, so I install a daisy player here in Debian. I put all the content, mostly .xml and .smil files in a daisy directory. If I run daisyplayer without any arguments, I get a boing from my sound-card, but if I provide a full path, I get pages of traceback errors-and-I must type reset. Anyway no sound. So can some1 please tell me the secret to playing these-and-thanks in advance
Hart