Any1 Know trn Really Well?

Well, first some background. Since 1997 I have been using Pine to grab binaries from usenet, but around 2003 many were encoding in yenc. Now I know I can pipe raw articles through uudeview. However, Pine or even now Alpine will not really load more than around 9500 articles in a binary group. Sure we can set a range in Pine at 30000 but it will only show 30000 most recent articles, which is not what I want. I usually go through a group in trn and reduce to what I want to save, go in pine. OK especially in Debian with trn 4.0 test 77 seems more robust. At times I can open a group with 7million binary articles, but there are times a group with 2million will hang for several days. I bet the real issue is a maximum article number, not a total number of articles loaded. So in 2003 folks on the trn developement list asked Wayne Davison if there are ways to decode yenc in trn? He says, 1 of these following commands may work:
:e|uudeview
or
:s|uudeview
Some say, run with /dev/sdin
I tried all of that from an article selector, says, "no articles processed"
Can some1 please inform on a good way to do this in trn?
Other strictly commandline news-readers are way too confusing for me.
Also, because I cannot get the pitch working correctly in this DecTalk, in Speakup, if a command needs capitalization, please let me know--and thanks so much in advance
Hart