Re: Sending Errors to A Specific Console?

On 10/30/11 19:18, Hart Larry wrote:
So my idea would be if first I could select a console such as
tty22  where all error messages would go.

If you su/sudo to root, you can use "cat" to read the contents of /proc/kmsg so for your example, I'd switch to console #22, and type

  sudo cat /proc/kmsg

and all system/kernel messages should appear in this console as they would if you were monitoring the output of "dmesg -r"

Note that the "cat" command (or the following "sed" command) both hang awaiting additional output, so you have to use control+C to terminate them if you're experimenting rather than just leaving them running in the background.

Then for those who figure its important to know of and examine
them, maybe the PC speaker could ring 2 rapid bells.

Using the above command, you could do something like

  sudo sed '/^<[6]>/&\x07\x07/' /proc/kmsg

which would send two BELL characters to this console if the logging level (the first field in angled-brackets is the logging level, which you can see if you use "dmesg -r") was one of the defined set. In this case, I just log-level 6 since that gives me most of what I would find important, but you can change it to something like "[367]" to log levels 3, 6, and 7, or even just

  sudo sed 's/^/\x07\x07/' /proc/kmsg

though this has the unfortunate side effect of ringing twice for EVERY line printed, which I think would annoy the SNOT out of me. <grins>

I don't know of these are the best solutions--especially the part where it involves leaving a console open with root access if you use "su" instead of configuring "sudo"; perhaps for this you could chown/chmod the file like

  chown :plugdev /proc/kmsg
  chmod g+r /proc/kmsg

and then run it as your regular user. I don't know if this will work for you, but hopefully it's at least a start.

-tim